Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Ode to David

Superlative
[suh-pur-luh-tiv] 



adjective
1.  of the highest kind, quality, or order; surpassing all else or others; supreme; extreme:
2.  being more than is proper or normal; exaggerated in language or style.
If I were to define my youngest son in one single word, this is the one I'd pick. From the moment he was born, David made sure to let all of us know that he was here, and he was not to be ignored. Everything David does, he does with gusto. It is as if deep down inside, he knows intuitively what most adults seem to forget in the process of growing up: that life is meant to be lived to the fullest, that when something is worth doing, then it is worth doing full steam ahead, no questions asked. 

Everything David does, is done in grand style. When he smiles, his smiles are the widest in the room, with enough inner light to fire up everything around him. When he's mad, his mood is explosive and cataclysmic (luckily, like with most explosions, it is big and loud but short-lived). And when he loves, oh boy! when he loves, he does so fully, deeply, and without reservations. He is loyal to a fault, so if you are privileged enough to be part of his inner circle, then you know he's got your back. He has a very finely tuned sense of compassion, unmarred by cynicism. He is the yin to his brother's yang, and I, for one, cannot get enough of my two very different, very polar-opposite boys.

I am unabashedly in love with this little creature, and I suspect that it has very little to do with the fact that he's my son, and a tremendous lot to do with the magic he seems to exert over those who surround him. To know David is to find a thousand different reasons to love him, but if I were to venture a guess, I'd say the reason why he's so easy to love, is because he is unfailingly kind. The one thing I always strive for as a mother is to instill kindness in my children. I tell them that, if nothing else, the lesson I hope I have been able to share with them as they grow up is to be kind. And what do you know? David has known that lesson all along. I find that I still have much to learn from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment